Like What You're Reading? Submit your email to be notified of new articles! Really Simple Syndication



Local Resources

Real Estate Resources

Silver Spring Neighborhoods


104 Year Old Farmhouse Still Standing in Downtown Silver Spring

Deerfield 40sThe Farmhouse built in the early 1900’s still sits at the edge of  McNeills Subdivision in Silver Spring, Md 20910.  This old farmhouse has had many transformations over the last century.

First owned by John McNeill and then his brother Robert H McNeill (namesake of the subdivsion platted in 1925) Robert H McNeill’s Addition to Silver Spring Park.

During the time that Robert McNeill lived here in the early 1900’s it was known as the McNeill Farm and was adjacent to the Henry Nolte Farm (namesake for Nolte Park)

This photo was from the 1940’s when the house was owned by a widow named Margurite Burke.  Burke once worked at the hospital/rest home that was located on the site that is now Bullis Park before it was the site of the Bullis School.

(1940’s Photo courtesy of Marguerite Burke’s grandaughter Toni Wilson)

In 1959 Margurite Burke sold the house to the Oaks Family.  Mr Oaks enclosed some parts of the house. He expanded and added to the house in the 1960’s, adding more bedrooms upstairs and a 2nd kitchen.

The Oaks Family occupied the house until Alma Oaks died in 2003.  The house was Sold to Alan Alder, of Arbor Homes, a builder who has an incredible knack for the restoration of old houses.

In 2006 Alan Alder renovated and restored the house to the beautiful gem it is now.

In the meantime, he subdivided the original 15,682 square foot lot and sold the new 7,366 sq ft adjacent lot, where a brick garage was located, to Overton Homes.

Overton Homes razed the garage on the new side lot and built a large brand new home there.

Leave a Reply

Copyright © 2008 The Silver Bee Real Estate by Debbie Cook     Agent Login        Design by Real Estate Tomato     Powered by Tomato Blogs

Find Blogs in the Blog Directory
Real Estate Blogs - Blog Top Sites